Wilberforce War MemorialPrint Page Print this page


Photographs supplied by Wayne Moore

The Wilberforce War Memorial was originally erected to commemorate those from the district who served in the Great War 1914-1918.

Inscriptions were added to the memorial at a later date to commemorate World War Two, Korea and Vietnam. Funds were received in 2013 for the restoration of the memorial.

A very successful sale of work and market day was held in the Australian hall, Wilberforce to raise funds to erect a permant memorial to those of the district who served in the war. The present idea is to erect a marble column on a stone base with the names of all those who served to be iinscribed upon the memorial.
Windsor and Richmond Gazette, 24th May 1918.


Address:George & Duke Roads, Wilberforce Park, Wilberforce, 2756
GPS Coordinates:Lat: -33.557232
Long: 150.844092
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
View Google Map


Monument Type:Monument
Monument Theme:Conflict


Approx. Monument Dedication Date:1918
Front Inscription

The Empire called and they answered from Wilberforce.

[ Names ]

Erected by the residents of Wilberforce

[ Names ]

Left Side Inscription

The Empire called and they answered from Ebenezer

[ Names ]


[ Names ]


Back Inscription

Erected to perpetuate the memory of the men from Wilberforce & District who took part in The Great War

1914 -1919
Peace with Victory

World War II 1939 - 1945

Korea 1950 -1953

Vietnam 1965 - 1972

[ Names ]


Right Side Inscription

The Empire called and they answered from Freeman's Reach

[ Names ]

Boer War & WWI

[ Names ]


[ Names ]


[ Names ]


Inscription in Proximity

Remembrance at Wilberforce Park
In 1966, the World War 1 memorial that was erected by the residents of Wilberforce on King Road in 1918 wsa relocated to Wilberforce Park by Colo Shire Council.  The monument was placed on the main path through the park, with entry from the west end of George Road framed by the World War 11 Memorial Gates.

Before its re-siting, the War Memorial had new plaques added to commemorate those who had served in World War 11 and further plaques were added in memory of the Korean and Vietnam Wars.

The gates at the south-east corner of the park were unveiled by Councillor Matheson, President of Colo Shire Council on 19 August 1947.
"In honour of the men and women of the Wilberforce District who served in the cause of freedom in World War 11, 1939-1945"

Monument details supplied by Monument Australia - www.monumentaustralia.org.au
Proudly sponsored by UBC Web Design