Tinonee Memorial Hall and School of ArtsPrint Page
The Memorial Hall and School of Arts commemorate those who have served in conflicts in which Australia has been involved. A porch was added to the hall in 1950 commemorating those who fell in both World Wars.
Originally known as the Federal Hall, it was officially opened on the 24th February 1913. The hall was purchased and became the Memorial School of Arts in 1945 in memory of those who served in both World Wars.
At the annual meeting of members of the Memorial School of Arts Committee the following annual report was presented:
In presenting to members a resume of the work and progress carried out by the committee during the past year, embracing as it does the first annual report, it is pleasing to state at the outset that after considerable negotiations and difficulties, the purchase of the Federal Hall became an accomplished fact and the Memorial School of Arts was instituted. Special mention must be made and our thanks extended to those gentlemen who responded to our appeal for six guarantors of £50 each, which covered the cost price of the hall, £300.
Excerpt from Northern Champion (Taree, NSW), 18 August 1945.
A most representative meeting of donors to the Tinonee and District Soldiers' Memorial Fund, unanimously decided that the Memorial should take the form of a porch at the entrance to the Memorial School of Arts. The porch is to be supported by pillars bearing tablets inscribed with the names of the seventeen service men enlisted from the neighbourhood who fell in the two world wars. When suggestions for a suitable memorial were called for Messrs. A. Doyle and J. Waterman moved that the memorial take the form of a porch at the hall building, and that Mr. V. O. N. Dennes explain the porch proposal, as he had done at a committee meeting some time ago. With the aid of diagrams, Mr. Dennes gave the meeting a very clear idea of the proposed porch. Numerous questions were asked and answered, and the matter was very thoroughly discussed. Speakers urged the appropriateness of the proposal — its simple dignity, its utility, and the fact that it would be part and parcel of Tinonee's landmark and community centre the memorial School of Arts.
Manning River Times and Advocate for the Northern Coast Districts of New South Wales (Taree, NSW), 6 December 1950.
A large gathering of ex service personnel is expected to attend the unveiling of the Memorial Tablet and the dedication of the Soldiers' Memorial Porch at the Tinonee Memorial School of Arts on Sunday afternoon. Ex-Servicemen and women will wear decorations and ribbons for the ceremonies. The dedication of the porch will be performed by Mr. P. E. Lucock, M.P., while Miss Pankhurst will unveil the tablets. A detachment of Officers and N.C.O.'s of the Macquarie Regiment, together with representatives from Taree Sub Branch R.S.S.A.I.L.A. and the United Services Club, Taree will be present. The Salvation Army Band will also be in attendance at the ceremony.
Northern Champion (Taree, NSW), 12 March 1954.
|Address:||Manchester Street, Tinonee, 2430|
|GPS Coordinates:||Lat: -31.934722|
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
|Approx. Monument Dedication Date:||1945|