The Channon War Memorial GatesPrint Page Print this page

The War Memorial Gates commemorate those from the district who served in both World Wars. The gates were originally erected in memory of the fallen of World War One. 

Monument Characteristics:
Square cement arch faced with marble name plaques. Surmounted by the Australian Rising Sun Badge and the words "The Great War", the name plaques list personnel from both World Wars.

In perfect weather on Sunday several hundred people saw the official opening of the Channon war memorial gates and sincere tributes were paid to the men who had answered the Empire's call, in its hour of need. The ceremony, simple and impressive, was symbolical of much that is Australian. The little township, in a fertile valley, surrounded by range upon range of broken and wooded hillside is more typical of Australia than are the crowded cities—so small that it is hardly a point on a map of the continent. Channon did not give a battalion or even a company to the Empire, but it gave all that it could, and it gave of its best; no city or township could do more. Yesterday many a mind went back to the dark days, the days when it did not seem possible that civilisation could triumph over the beast, but it was pointed out that the sacrifice would not be in vain if those who remained would but be true to the instinct or purpose which had animated those who were prepared to sacrifice what humanity values most, and that is life. The president of the Terania Shire Council,(Cr.T.W. Green) made the only speech at the opening and the unveiling was performed by Mrs. J. Watt , mother of one of the fallen. This was 
followed by a religious service conducted by the Rev. C. Foley (Church of England) and the Rev. P. Williams (Methodist).

The memorial gates, erected in front of the public hall, cost the residents of this little centre £135, and the entire cost has been met. Concrete pillars supporting concrete girders 
carrying two slabs, one bearing the badge of the A.I.F., the rising sun, and the other the words "The Great War." In the pillars are set two more slabs, one bears the names of the killed. The whole of the work was carried out by Mr. M.J. O`Meara in a manner that has earned the praise of the committee handling the appeal for the memorial. 
Northern Star (Lismore, NSW), 19 July 1927.



Address:Mill Street, The Channon, 2480
GPS Coordinates:Lat: -28.673056
Long: 153.278889
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
View Google Map


Monument Type:Gate
Monument Theme:Conflict
Monument Manufacturer:Mr.M.J. O`Meara


Actual Monument Dedication Date:Sunday 17th July, 1927
Left Side Inscription



Right Side Inscription

Wounded 10
Enlisted 42
A Glorious
Death Is His
Who For
His Country Falls


Source: SKP, NRWM, MA
Monument details supplied by Monument Australia - www.monumentaustralia.org.au
Proudly sponsored by UBC Web Design