Tarana War MemorialPrint Page
Tarana War Memorial commemorates those who have served in conflicts in which Australia has been involved. The memorial was originally erected in memory of those who served in World War One. A grant was received to restore and relocated the memorial back to its original position in 2013 and provision was made on the memorial for additional information.
Tarana. On Saturday the local war memorial was unveiled in the presence of a large and representative gathering. Visitors from distant parts were present, among whom were the Hon. J. C. L. Fitzpatrick, M.L.A., and Mr. A. G. Manning, M. H.R. Each of these gentlemen delivered an address of interest during the proceedings. The Rev. Smith, Methodist minister of Oberon, and the president of the local patriotic committee also addressed the gathering. Apologies were read from several who were unable to attend. The unveiling was performed by Mrs. Bartlett senr., who had four sons at the front, one of whom made the great sacrifice. The Last Post was sounded Mr. Johnson, of Bathurst. The memorial consists of a base of concrete, on which is another concrete slab supporting a block of granite. On this stands another block of granite, one side of which is polished, and engraved with the names of twenty-five soldiers and one nurse. Surmounting the whole is a machine gun. The contract was carried out by Mr. Bushby of Bowenfels, and bears the imprint of a master-hand.
Lithgow Mercury (NSW), 14 November 1923.
|Address:||Tarana-O`Connell Road (Mutton Falls Road), Tarana, 2787|
|GPS Coordinates:||Lat: -33.524703|
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
|Monument Manufacturer:||Mr Bushby (Bowenfels)|
|Actual Monument Dedication Date:||Saturday 10th November, 1923|
1914 FOR KING AND COUNTRY 1918
TARANA HONOR ROLL
1939 FOR KING AND COUNTRY 1945
TARANA HONOR ROLL