St. Andrew`s HutsPrint Page Print this page

 St Andrews Huts : 26-September-2012
St Andrews Huts : 26-September-2012

Photographs supplied by Kent Watson / John Huth

The St. Andrewss Cathedral Flag Staff commemorates the St. Andrew`s Huts erected in the Cathedral grounds from February 1940 to August 1947.


Address:George & Bathurst Streets, St. Andrew`s Cathedral, Sydney, 2000
GPS Coordinates:Lat: -33.873871
Long: 151.206652
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
View Google Map


Monument Type:Monument
Monument Theme:Conflict
Approx. Event Start Date:February-1940
Approx. Event End Date:August-1947


Front Inscription

      This Flag Staff

The Church Of England
National Emergency Fund
  St Andrew's Huts 
In The Cathedral Grounds

February 1940
     August 1947
3½ Million Meals And
Recreational Facilities
Were Provided For
Officers And Men
Of The Fighting Forces
And A Mobile Canteen
Made Nightly Visits
     To Isolated
Anti-Aircraft And
Searchlight Units.

900 Members Of The Sydney
Diocesan Churchwoman's
Association Gave Voluntary
Service In These Activities.
The Huts Remained In Use
For Ex-Servicemen until the

Memorial Centre
At 201 Castlereagh Street
Was Opened
For Rehabilitation And
Youth Leadership Training.


Source: MA,NRWM
Monument details supplied by Monument Australia - www.monumentaustralia.org.au
Proudly sponsored by UBC Web Design