H.M.A.S. TingiraPrint Page
The memorial commemorates the Royal Australian Navy training ship which was moored off Rose Bay from 1912 to 1927. It was used to train over 3,000 sailors for naval duties during World War One.
Tingira, an aboriginal word meaning ‘ocean’, or ‘open sea’, and pronounced Tinguy-rah, was to become the training ship to thousands of young boys who chose the Navy as a career under the Department of the Navy’s boy enlistment scheme. The first intake of boys took place between 1st June and 28th June 1912, and at the date of HMAS Tingira’s decommissioning, 3,168 young boys had had the privilege of having their initial training there.
|Address:||New South Head Road & Vickery Avenue, Tingara Memorial Reserve, Rose Bay, 2029|
|GPS Coordinates:||Lat: -33.871232|
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
|Approx. Event Start Date:||1912|
|Approx. Event End Date:||1927|
|Monument Designer:||McGregor Westlake (architects)|
|Approx. Monument Dedication Date:||2006|