www.monumentaustralia.org.au

H.M.A.S. Parramatta MemorialPrint Page Print this page

27-August-2018
27-August-2018

Photographs supplied by Hugh Tranter

The memorial commemorates the service of all ships to bear the name "Parramatta" in the Royal Australian Navy. 

The monument comprises the aft (stern) end of the former vessel, as removed from the shipwreck site. The stern was cut from the once intact hull by oxyacetylene torches. It also features descriptive boards which give details of the vessels. 

H.M.A.S. Parramatta was the first ship built in 1910 for the fledgling Commonwealth Naval Forces, later to become the Royal Australian Navy. H.M.A.S. Parramatta served with distinction during  World War One, mostly in Australian and southeast Asian waters, although she was off Gallipoli for a brief period. She was retired from service in 1928 and the bow and stern salvaged as relics in 1973.

Location

Address:George Street, Queens Wharf Reserve, Parramatta, 2150
State:NSW
Area:AUS
GPS Coordinates:Lat: -33.816111
Long: 151.013333
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
View Google Map

Details

Monument Type:Monument
Monument Theme:Conflict
Sub-Theme:Multiple
Link:http://www.warmemorialsregister.nsw…

Dedication

Actual Monument Dedication Date:Saturday 13th June, 1981
Front Inscription
H.M.A.S. Parramatta 
Back Inscription
Parramatta 
Source: MA,H,NRWM
Monument details supplied by Monument Australia - www.monumentaustralia.org.au
Proudly sponsored by UBC Web Design