Oatley War MemorialPrint Page
Oatley War Memorial commemorates Australian service men and women who have served in all wars and conflicts in which Australia has been involved. The original war was located in the gorunds of the Oatley Public School and was unveiled on the 25th October 1924 by Brigadier-general Lloyd in memory of those who died in service or were killed in action during World War One.
The Oatley War Memorial was relocated and completely refurbished over a two year period by Kogarah Council in conjunction with Oatley RSL Sub Branch and incorporated in a new memorial and rededicated in 1962. The Memorial now boasts a completely new look with a remake of the south wall and the surrounds being cement rendered and painted.
The monument consists of two stones sitting on a cement rendered base, the upper stone has marble plaques on either side dedicated to the Diggers of World War One while the lower block has one on either side. The Eastern side commemorates those of World War Two and the Western side commemorates those of Korea, Malaya & Vietnam. The base section on the eastern side also has a plaque. The memorial is surrounded by gardens which complement the refurbishment. On the garden wall approaching the Memorial the original dedication plaque has been re-affixed.
|Address:||Oatley Avenue & Frederick Street, Oatley Memorial Gardens, Oatley, 2223|
|GPS Coordinates:||Lat: -33.981759|
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
|Actual Monument Dedication Date:||Saturday 31st March, 1962|
Their Lives For Victory
And Their Name
Liveth For Evermore
( lower plaque )
1939 - 1945
Ye who come after them forget not their sacrifice,
Claim as your heritage a portion of their spirit
And in peace or in war take up their swords of service,
So shall the living & the dead to be for all time bound in one fellowship.
LEST WE FORGET
Their Lives For
1950 -1953 1955 -1960
This memorial was dedicated on 31st March, 1962 by the Reverend H.C. Lundy, in memory of all servicemen and women serving their country. Originally sited at the public school, Letitia St. Oatley, the memorial was moved to its present position by the Oatley Sub-Branch R.S.S & A.I.L.A.