Soldiers MemorialPrint Page
The Monument commemorates those who have served in the various conflicts in which Australia has been involved. Originally built to commemorate those who served in World War One, a sculpture was added in 1968 to commemorate those who served in World War Two and subsequent conflicts.
Monument characteristics :
The original monument is a sandstone arched and crenulated gateway. A bronze statue in front of the central section of the gate has been added. The statue is of a soldier in shorts and boots with a helmet and rifle at his feet.
The memorial gates at the entrance to the park at Nowra will be officially opened by Rear-Admiral Evans on January 22. The gates, which are of wrought iron have been built locally by returned soldiers. The pillars and arch have been constructed of sandstone obtained in the district. There are 380 names on the honour plates. A public holiday will be observed at Nowra and in adjoining municipalities. There will be a demonstration by returned soldiers and school children and the band from HMAS Australia will provide music. A water colour of the gates in an inscribed silver frame will be presented to Rear-Admiral Evans.
Sydney Morning Herald (NSW), 5 January 1931.
|Address:||West & Junction Streets, Nowra, 2541|
|GPS Coordinates:||Lat: -34.873328|
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
|Monument Designer:||Cyril Blacket (architect) O.L.Steen (sculptor)|
|Monument Manufacturer:||George Cook & O`Heir Brothers|
|Actual Monument Dedication Date:||Thursday 22nd January, 1931|
1914 Honor Roll 1918
TO THOSE WHO SERVED
"Forget them not, the valiant souls who fought and proudly died; now, nameless in distant graves they lie, with nought but pride in knowing that their precious land continued to be free. We cannot give, but we can keep alive their memory."
This sculpture depicts an Australian service man standing free upon his island home with his helmet & rifle discarded, his country`s freedom secured but forever on alert to safeguard the future.
1899 - 1902
1914 - 1918
1939 - 1945
"Lest We Forget"
In memory of
1950 - 1956
1950 - 1960
"For all those who served, suffered and died"
1962 - 1973
1963 - 1966
Liberation of Kuwait
1990 - 1991
These Memorial Gates
Were Opened By
Admiral E. R. G. R. Evans,
C.B., D.S.O., R.N.
22nd January 1931.
Chairman T. Marriott. Builder G. Cook
Architect C. Blacket, Gates O`Heir Bros.
Was Unveiled By
The Governor Of New South Wales
Sir Roden Cutler
V.C., K.C.M.G., C.B.E.
23rd March 1968.
Shoalhaven District War Memorial Appeal
Chairman R. J. Rainford. Sculptor O. L. Steen