Mount Wilson War MemorialPrint Page
Mount Wilson War Memorial was originally erected to commemorate those from Mount Irvine, Mount Wilson and Bell who served in World War One. Additional names have been added to the memorial to commemorate those who served in World War Two and Vietnam.
Arrangements are now well in hand for the unveiling of Mount Wilson's soldiers' memorial. Mrs. W. G. Gregson, widow of Sergt. Gregson, will perform the unveiling ceremony. The obelisk, which is in one large stone weighing nearly three tons stands on a corner of land near the public school given for the purpose by Mrs. Mann, of "Denarque." It contains the names of 27 soldiers who enlisted from Mount Irvine, Mount Wilson, and Bell. Three of those— Flight-Lieut. Alfred Mann, Sergt. W. G. Gregson, and Pte. W. Hall— made the supreme sacrifice. The names are cut on a shield-shaped smooth surface, the whole monument being in keeping with the rugged grandeur of the surrounding country.
Lithgow Mercury (NSW), 19 November 1919.
|Address:||The Avenue, Mount Wilson, 2786|
|GPS Coordinates:||Lat: -33.504682|
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
|Actual Monument Dedication Date:||Saturday 29th November, 1919|