Morisset Memorial HallPrint Page
Morisset Memorial Hall was erected to commemorate those who served in World War One.
The new Memorial Hall, which is combined with the Literary Institute and replaces the old School of Arts destroyed by fire at Morisset was opened on Armistice Day. The ceremony of opening the door was performed by Mr H. B. Mullard, a pioneer mill owner of Morisett and the founder of the original School of Arts. Mr. G. Booth, M.L.A. with representatives of the executive of the Sydney branch of the Returned Soldiers' League, Lieutenant Colonel Rodd, President Desreaux (Lake Macquarie Shire Council), Councillor Hely, clergy, the superintendent and official staff of the Morisset Mental Hospital and returned soldiers from all parts were present.
The hall as constructed by G. Grace and son, Merewether and Mr. Wilkins, Newcastle, was architect. It Is 80 feet by 32 and built of specially selected hard wood. The contract price was £1318, but when the cost of seating, lighting and billiard table, with piano and crockeryware for suppers and banquets is added, the cost will exceed £2000. The trustees also intend to instal a cinema plant, and to conduct picture shows for twelve months with voluntary assistance. This, it was hoped, will assist to defray any liability remaining.
Newcastle Sun (NSW), 14 November 1927.
|Address:||78 Dora Street, Morisset, 2264|
|GPS Coordinates:||Lat: -33.108073|
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
|Monument Designer:||Mr Wilkins (Newcastle), architect|
|Monument Manufacturer:||G. Grace & Son (Merewether)|
|Actual Monument Dedication Date:||Friday 11th November, 1927|
Morisset Memorial Hall