Lower Southgate War MemorialPrint Page Print this page

Lower Southgate War Memorial commemorates those who have served in conflicts in which Australia has been involved. The memorial was originally erected in memory of those from the district who served in World War One. The names of those who served in World War Two were added to the memorial at a later date. 

The memorial was moved from its original postion on the riverbank to Doust Park. 

A handsome memorial erected by the people of Lower Southgate in honor of the men who enlisted from the district, was unveiled on Saturday afternoon, in the presence of a representative gathering of local residents and a number of visitors. The unveiling was performed by Mrs. Doust who drew aside the Union Jack and the Australian flag with which the memorial had been draped.

The memorial, which has been erected on the bank of the river, immediately above the Lower Southgate public wharf, is of column design. It is protected by a galvanised-iron railing, supported by substantial pillars at the four corners, of an eight feet square enclosure laid with cement. In the centre, resting on a solid concrete foundation, rises a reinforced concrete basement in three divisions, three foot square at bottom and five feet six inches high.  In this are inserted five marble panels. On the basement worked in stone stands a round column with finely moulded base and cap surmounted with a gun shell on top. On front of the column in carved in high relief a rifle and sword (nearly full size), with flags and ornament intertwined. The memorial complete stands about thirteen feet high and was designed and erected by Messrs. Matheson and Collins, Grafton. 
Daily Examiner (Grafton, NSW),  16 April 1919.


Address:Grafton-Lawrence Road, Doust Park, Lower Southgate, 2460
GPS Coordinates:Lat: -29.549572
Long: 153.085047
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
View Google Map


Monument Type:Monument
Monument Theme:Conflict
Monument Designer:Matheson & Collins (Grafton )


Front Inscription


The Great War 1914 - 1919
        Erected By
The Residents Of Lower Southgate
In Honor Of Their Brave Lads
Who Volunteered For Active Service,
And In Memory Of Those
Who Fell Fighting For Liberty And Justice.

Left Side Inscription
Back Inscription
Right Side Inscription
Source: NRWM, HNSW, MA
Monument details supplied by Monument Australia - www.monumentaustralia.org.au
Proudly sponsored by UBC Web Design