Memorial ArchPrint Page
The Memorial Arch commemorates those who have served in the various conflicts in which Australia has been involved. The arch was originally erected to commemorate those who served in World War One.
The Premier (Sir George Fuller) unveiled the soldiers' memorial arch at Kiama. The monument is built of stone from the Kiama quarries, and Sir George said that when the stone had crumbled away the memory of the Anzacs would still be green. Two hundred names are inscribed on the trachyte slabs. The cost of the memorial was £1040 and £108 was subscribed at the unveiling ceremony. The sum of £200 is needed to wipe out the debt.
The Sydney Morning Herald (NSW), 1 May 1925.
|Address:||Terralong & Collins Streets, Hindmarsh Park, Kiama, 2533|
|GPS Coordinates:||Lat: -34.669156|
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
|Actual Monument Dedication Date:||Saturday 25th April, 1925|
LEST WE FORGET
THIS MEMORIAL ARCH
WAS UNVEILED BY
SIR GEORGE FULLER K.C.M.G.
PREMIER OF N.S.W.
APRIL 25 1925
[ Names ]
THIS MEMORIAL HAS BEEN
ERECTED BY THE RESIDENTS OF
KIAMA TO THE GLORY OF GOD
AND IN GRATEFUL RECOGNITION
OF THE SACRIFICES OF THOSE
WHO FROM THIS DISTRICT SERVED
IN THE GREAT WAR 1914-1918.
HONOUR ROLL [Names]
1939 - 1945 [Names]
Womens Services [Names]
South Africa [Names]
SPIRIT OF PEACE
Presented by the Kiama Garden Club on the occasion of the 50th Anniversary of Peace in the Pacific 15-8-95
Presented by Kiama Garden Club on the occasion of the 50th Anniversary of Peace in the Pacific 15-8-95
1945 British Commonwealth Forces 1952
British Commonwealth Occupation Force (B.C.O.F.)
In Remembrance of 45,000 Australian Service men and
women who served in Japan and those who did not return
Lest We Forget