Kenmore Hospital War MemorialPrint Page
Kenmore Hospital War Memorial commemorates those from the hospital staff who served in conflicts in which Australia has been involved. The memorial was originally erected to commemorate those who served in World War One. A separate granite tablet has been added to the 3 primary faces to accommodate World War Two names on ANZAC Day 1950.
Fifty of Kenmore`s soldiers fought in the great war for the Empire, and some of them never returned. The names of those who served are immortalised in the memorial which was on Sunday afternoon unveiled by General McNicoll, C.B. C.M.G.; D.S.O., C. de G. The memorial, which stands near the entrance gates of the great hospital, is erected in memory of the men of the Hospital staff, and it has been paid for by their comrades and the medical and nursing staff. It is built of Marulan granite, rose faced, on a concrete base, and the work and general design is a credit to the makers, Messrs. J. Turner and Sons. Three panels, on the centre one of which is engraved the names of the fallen, are let into the shaft, the second and third panels, bearing the names of other men who served and returned. Over the central panel is the Australian rising sun in bronze on a polished surface. The ceremony took place in the presence of nearly a thousand people.
Goulburn Evening Penny Post (NSW), 25 March 1924.
A memorial to the men of the Second World War was unveiled at Kenmore Mental Hospital yesterday. The memorial took the form of a tablet attached to the original memorial to the First World War which stands in a beautiful setting inside the gates of the hospital. A parade of ex-servicemen took place, some 40 or 50 men sharing in the dawn service at the memorial. Mr. E. Grant, supervising attendant, unveiled the tablet.
Goulburn Evening Post (NSW), 26 April 1950.
|Address:||Taralga Road , Grounds of Kenmore Psychiatric Hospital, Goulburn, 2580|
|GPS Coordinates:||Lat: -34.718774|
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
|Monument Designer:||Messrs J Turner & Sons|
|Actual Monument Dedication Date:||Sunday 23rd March, 1924|
In Grateful Memory
Of Those Who Fought And Fell
In The Great War
Greater love hath no man than this,
that a man lay down his life for his friends