Kempsey War MemorialPrint Page
Kempsey War Memorial was originally erected in memory of those from the Macleay River district who died in service or were killed in action during World War One. The names of the fallen of World War Two were added to the memorial at a later date.
At 2.30 on the afternoon of Anzac Day a number of returned men, under control of Major Edgley, took part in a procession from Central Kempsey across the bridge, with the Macleay Caledonian Pipe Band playing in the van. There was a large attendance despite the impending rain, which developed into a tremendous downpour ere (sic) the ceremony ended, completely drenching the majority. After the opening hymn, Mayor Lane remarked that the purpose of the gathering that afternoon was to unveil this monument to the honor of those brave lads of the Macleay River district who had fallen in the great conflict. He felt sure that this monument would act as a guide to the rising generation, setting an example for them to follow through life. Mrs. C. Dornan, who lost two sons at the war, then performed the unveiling ceremony. Rev. D. Smith then pronounced the Prayer of Dedication, and the Last Post was sounded, after which the gathering stood for a few minutes with bowed heads in silent tribute to the fallen.
The Macleay Chronicle (Kempsey, NSW), 2 May 1923.
|Address:||Rudder & Lord Streets, East Kempsey, 2440|
|GPS Coordinates:||Lat: -31.081822|
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
|Actual Monument Dedication Date:||Wednesday 25th April, 1923|
1914 - 1919
Erected By The
Citizens Of The District
In Sacred Memory Of
The SOLDIERS of the MACLEAY
Who Laid Down Their Lives
For King And Country
In The Great War.