Hillston Memorial ParkPrint Page Print this page


Photographs supplied by Chris McLaughlin

Hillston Memorial Park was established to commemorate those who died in service or were killed in action during both World Wars. 

At the entrance to the park are gates which contain the district honour roll. The cenotaph which was erected in memory of those who served in World War One and unveiled on the 30th January 1926  was relocated from its original location at McGee and High Streets to the Memorial Park  1949. 

After four years the organisation which was formed for the express purpose of tangibly perpetrating the memory of the districts' heroes, who paid the  "Supreme Sacrifice" in the two World Wars, had the satisfaction of seeing their ambition brought to creditable finality on Saturday last when the memorial park was officially declared open to the public by Cr. R. A. Munro, President of Carrathool Shire Council.

When the project was at first initiated at a public meeting, and the decision made to purchase the land extending from the centre of High Street to the river, to be moulded into a park, many had their doubts as to the ultimate success of the venture. However, as time marched on, the barren piece of land, at that period ostensibly an eyesore to our main street, enclosed by a high galvanised iron fences, was piece by piece converted into a spot of beauty, prefaced with imposing brick and iron railings upon which are marble tablets bearing the names of the districts soldiers, whose memory the park is dedicated to. Within the park itself is the memorial in memory of men of the 1914-18 War, which is set off by spacious lawns, shrubs and gardens. Undoubtedly the whole set up of this very fitting memorial, is a credit to its designers, the numerous workers who carried out the work, and a satisfaction to the persons who conceived the idea in the first place.
The Hillston Spectator and Lachlan River Advertiser (NSW),
 27 October 1949.


Address:Kidman Way, Hillston, 2675
GPS Coordinates:Lat: -33.484842
Long: 145.532478
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
View Google Map


Monument Type:Park
Monument Theme:Conflict
Monument Designer:Cenotaph : Mr Laird (architect)
Monument Manufacturer:Cenotaph : Wilcox Bros (Geelong, VIC)


Actual Monument Dedication Date:Saturday 22nd October, 1949
Front Inscription

Lest We Forget

Cenotaph :

In Honor Of
The Brave Men
Of This District
Who Fought For
King & Country
In The Great War 
1914 - 18.

Left Side Inscription

Gate :

Roll of Honour
World War I 1914 - 1918

These Gave Their All
[ Names ]

Right Side Inscription

Gate :

Roll of Honour 
World War II 1939-1945

These Gave Their All
[ Names ]

Monument details supplied by Monument Australia - www.monumentaustralia.org.au
Proudly sponsored by UBC Web Design