www.monumentaustralia.org.au

Gundagai War MemorialPrint Page Print this page

Gundagai War Memorial : 10-July-2011
Gundagai War Memorial : 10-July-2011

Photographs supplied by Kent Watson / Roger Johnson / Sandra Brown

The Gundagai War Memorial commemorates those who have served in the various conflicts in which Australia has been involved. The memorial was originally erected to commemorate those who served in World War One. The foundation stone was laid by Major-General Cox on the 24th May 1928.

Monument Characteristics:

Grey and red obelisk, with names engraved in gold. 

Saturday last, just ten years after the conclusion of the terrible world war, over a thousand folk stood bare headed in Sheridan-street while Brigadier General Cox unveiled a memorial monument erected in memory of the Gundagai town and district heroes who offered their services therein in defence of their country. The Memorial Monument is an imposing structure, weighing over 32 tons, and Mr. F. Rusconi deserves congratulations for the excellent work he put into its erection.

The trachyte base has a polised panel on each side, and on the western panel is the inscription: 'Erected to the Glory of God and the Honor of Brave Men by a grateful People. Great War 1914 — 1918.'
T
he Gundagai Independent (NSW), 12 November 1928.

Location

Address:Sheridan & Virgil Streets, Gundagai, 2722
State:NSW
Area:AUS
GPS Coordinates:Lat: -35.066576
Long: 148.109778
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
View Google Map

Details

Monument Type:Monument
Monument Theme:Conflict
Sub-Theme:Multiple
Monument Designer:Mr F. Rusconi
Link:http://www.warmemorialsregister.nsw…

Dedication

Actual Monument Dedication Date:Saturday 10th November, 1928
Front Inscription

Killed in Action

[ Names ] 

         Erected
To The Glory Of God
          And
The Honor Of Brave Men
By A Grateful People.
Great War 1914 – 1918

 

Left Side Inscription

Enlisted 

[ Names ]

In Memory Of Those Who Served From
GUNDAGAI DISTRICT
1939-45 Korean & Vietnam Wars
[ Names ]

Back Inscription

Enlisted

[ Names ]

 

Right Side Inscription

Enlisted

[ Names ] 

Inscription in Proximity

        This Stone Was Laid
                  By
Major General C.F Cox D.S.O. V.D.
               On
       May 24th 1928

 

Source: MA, NRWM
Monument details supplied by Monument Australia - www.monumentaustralia.org.au
Proudly sponsored by UBC Web Design