www.monumentaustralia.org.au

Exeter War Memorial GatesPrint Page Print this page

15-March-2015
15-March-2015

Photographs supplied by Peter F Williams

Exeter War Memorial Gates commemorate those who served in World War One and World War Two. 

His Excellency the Governor, Lieut.-General John Northcott, has graciously accepted the invitation of the Welfare Committee to unveil the War Memorial at Exeter. The function has been arranged for Sunday afternoon, February 12, at 3 p.m., and the committee is making provision for a large gathering of ex-soldiers and citizens to witness the ceremony.

The memorial takes the form of entrance gates to the picturesque Exeter Park, and the adoption of a memorial of such general utility has won many friends for the Welfare Committee. The side panels and pillars have been constructed in Bundanoon sandstone, bearing suitable tablets, setting out that the memorial stands to the honour of those who fell or gave other sacrificing service in either of the two World Wars. 
Goulburn Evening Post (NSW), 13 January 1950.

Location

Address:Exeter Road (Highland Way), Exeter Oval , Exeter, 2579
State:NSW
Area:AUS
GPS Coordinates:Lat: -34.611379
Long: 150.316234
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
View Google Map

Details

Monument Type:Structure
Monument Theme:Conflict
Sub-Theme:Multiple
Link:http://www.warmemorialsregister.nsw…

Dedication

Actual Monument Dedication Date:Sunday 12th February, 1950
Front Inscription

 

 

Left Side Inscription

(Left Pillar)

EXETER WAR MEMORIAL

Right Side Inscription
(Right Pillar)
TO THOSE WHO SERVED
1914 - 1918. 1939 - 1945
Inscription in Proximity

(On sandstone boulder)

THE EXETER WAR MEMORIAL GATES
     Were Officially Opend By
GENERAL SIR JOHN NORTHCOTT,
      KCMG,KCVO,CB,KSt J,
      GOVERNOR OF NSW
                    ON
        12 FEBRUARY 1950
After Sustaining Damage, The Gates Were Removed And For Some Years Remained in Storage. In 1999 A Restoration Project Was Undertaken And On
          12 FEBRUARY 2000,
The Gates Were Officially Reopened By
THE HONOURABLE GORDON SAMUELS AC,
          GOVERNOR OF NSW
               And Dedicated By
THE RIGHT REVEREND REGINALD J. PIPER,

         Bishop Of Wollongong

Source: SKP,NRWM, MA
Monument details supplied by Monument Australia - www.monumentaustralia.org.au
Proudly sponsored by UBC Web Design