Eastwood War MemorialPrint Page Print this page


Photographs supplied by Stephen Woods

Eastwood War Memorial , which is in the form of a gateway leading into Eastwood Park, was originally erected to commemorate those who died in service or were killed in action during World War One. The names of those who lost their lives in World War Two were added at a later date. A plaque commemorating the 90th anniversary of the ANZAC landing at Gallipoli is also located on the memorial. 

EASTWOOD PARK GATEWAY. UNVEILED BY GOVERNOR. The Eastwood war memorial was unveiled by the Governor (Sir Dudley de Chair) yesterday, there being present several hundred people. Dr. D. Guthrie Hunter (president of the War Memorial Committee) presided, and among those who attended were the Attorney General (Mr. Bavin), Senator Cox, Sir Thomas Henley, Mr. D. M. Anderson, Alderman Ball (Mayor of Eastwood), and Alderman Dyer (Mayor of Ryde). Prior to the unveiling a service was conducted by the Revs. Harold Mullins and Andrew Colvin (Church of England), J. A. R. Perkins (Presbyterian), P. O. Davis (Methodist), and E. Driver (Baptist). The Governor was received by a guard of honour of returned soldiers, under Sergeant Major Polle. A detachment of senior cadets, under Captain B. B. Hawkins, the Eastwood and Epping Boy Scouts, in charge of Troop Leader K. Sorrell and Assistant Scoutmaster H. W. Long respectively, and Girl Guides, in charge of Miss Wyndham were also in attendance. Dr. D. Guthrie Hunter welcomed Sir Dudley de Chair, and recalled that it was l8 years since Eastwood had been visited by a Governor. On the occasion referred to, Sir Harry Rawson laid the foundation-stone of the School of Arts.

The Governor, in unveiling the memorial, said that it was fitting that the event should take place on Empire Day. The day was celebrated with all reverence, enthusiasm, and patriotism, and the memorial gates would be a reminder to all who passed through them of the services rendered by those men of the district who had served in the war, and particularly of those who did not return. It was a wondorful achievement for a small community like Eastwood to have been represented at the war by 223 men, and the names of the 37 who fell on active service would always be honoured. The memorial is in the form of a gateway leading to Eastwood Park, and is built of Hawkesbury sandstone, with trachyte tablets bearing the names of the men who fell on active service. The cost was about £500, exclusive of voluntary labour. Mr. C. P. Seccombe, ex -A.I.F was the honorary architect. 
The Sydney Morning Herald (NSW),  25 May 1925.


Address:Lakeside & Hillview Roads, Eastwood Park, Eastwood, 2122
GPS Coordinates:Lat: -33.789488
Long: 151.080517
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
View Google Map


Monument Type:Gate
Monument Theme:Conflict
Monument Designer:Mr C.P. Seccombe


Actual Monument Dedication Date:Sunday 24th May, 1925
Front Inscription

To the men of Eastwood who gaves their lives for freedom and humanity.   1914 - 1918.

[ Names ]

Plaque :

In commemorating the 90th anniversary of the ANZAC landing at Gallipoli on the 25th April 1915, the City of RYde honours all who bravely served.

Lest We Forrget


Left Side Inscription
World - War II
1939 - 1945 
[ Names ]
Right Side Inscription
World - War II
1939 - 1945 
[ Names ]
Source: SKP, NRWM, MA
Monument details supplied by Monument Australia - www.monumentaustralia.org.au
Proudly sponsored by UBC Web Design