Dubbo War MemorialPrint Page
Dubbo War Memorial commemorates those who have served in the various conflicts in which Australia has been involved. The memorial was originally erected to commemorate those who died in service or were killed in action during World War One. The dedication inscription for those who lost their lives in World War Two was unveiled on the 17th October 1951.
The monument features detailed bronze relief figures of Australian mounted infantry (Light Horse) and artillery units in action during World War One. The bronze tablets were unveiled on Armistice Day 1925.
A crowd of nearly 4,000 people gathered for the unveiling of the Dubbo War Memorial in Victoria Park on 25 April 1925. The memorial was unveiled by Brigadier General James Heane, DSO, CMG, CB who was educated at Dubbo Superior School and served as the Area Officer for Militia Training prior to the Great War.
The Dubbo Liberal and Macquarie Advocate (NSW), 28 April 1925.
At the eleventh hour of the eleventh day of the eleventh month of 1918, when the Great War ended, the soldiers lined up over many hundreds of miles of the fronts in different parts of Europe, Asia and Africa rejoiced in that they had brought to its conclusion the war to end all wars. We know now that that was a delusion, but still it is a great day, partly of rejoicing and partly of memory for those who fell by the wayside in this great march towards peace on earth and goodwill among men. In Dubbo on Wednesday the day was made the occasion for completing our Memorial Monument by the unveiling of the bronze tablets depicting work of three of the principal arms of the service.
Mr. G. W. Browne then explained the meaning of the bronze tablets, although, as he said, they hardly needed it; for, as to the one facing Church street every boy and girl there could see that it depicted the Landing at Gallipoli. Facing the railway station was a bronze picture showing the work of that splendid arm of the service, the artillery, and a gun crew in action was there shown. On the third side was the gallant Light Horse, the mounted men, so many of whom had gone from the country district around them. They should look upon the monument as the sepulchre of dauntless men. They should forget all about war, but remember the spirit of the people who had built the monument in love and gratitude to their dead.
The Dubbo Liberal and Macquarie Advocate (NSW), 13 November 1925.
An inscription on the Soldiers' Memorial, commemorating the sacrifice of the fallen in world war 1939-1945 was unveiled by Sir John Northcott at a dedication this morning. The Bishop Co-adjutor, Rt. Rev d'Arcy Collins conducted the dedication.
The Dubbo Liberal and Macquarie Advocate (NSW), 17 October 1951
|Address:||Darling & Talbragar Streets, Victoria Park, Dubbo, 2830|
|GPS Coordinates:||Lat: -32.247656|
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
|Monument Designer:||Sculptor : Raynor Hoff, Architects : H. Crone and R. W. Hinton (Sydney, N.S.W.)|
|Monument Manufacturer:||Robert Wall & Sons (Sydney, N.S.W.)|
|Actual Monument Dedication Date:||Saturday 25th April, 1925|
In Memory Of Those Who Gave
Their Lives In The Great War
So They Passed Over
And All The Trumpets Sounded
On The Other Side
Having Each One Given His Body
To The Commonwealth,
They All Receive Instead Thereof
A Most Remarkable Sepulchre,
Wherein Their Glory Is Laid Up
To Be Remembered Evermore:
For To Famous Men All The Earth
Is A Sepulchre.
KOREA 1950 - 1954
MALAYSIA 1948 - 1960
BORNEO 1962 - 1966
VIETNAM 1962 - 1973
Their Virtues Shall Be Testified
Not Only By The Inscription In Stone At Home,
But In The Unwritten Record Of The Mind
In All Lands Wheresoever;
Which Far Beyond Any Monument,
Will Remain With All Men