Cowra Railway War Memorial FountainPrint Page
Cowra Railway War Memorial Fountain commemorates local railwaymen who died in service or were killed in action during World War One and World War Two.
The memorial fountain consists of a hand holding a grenade with a sprinkler at its apex, above a large tray with four equidistant spouts and a fish pond at ground level.
In 1926 the memorial fountain was unveiled at the then new Cowra Locomotive Depot in Taragala. The fountain, built by the railway staff and incorporating parts from steam locomotives, paid tribute to the local railwaymen who died while serving their country during World War One. At the end of the World War Two, a further four names were added to the memorial.
Finally, with the closing of Cowra Loco, the Anzac services ended and the fountain fell into disrepair. However, the depot subsequently came under the control of the Lachlan Valley Railway Society and with assistance from Ron Horsfall and the local RSL Sub-branch the memorial fountain was refurbished and re-dedicated in 1991.
|Address:||3 Campbell Street, adjacent Cowra Locomotive Depot, Cowra, 2794|
|GPS Coordinates:||Lat: -33.847667|
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
|Approx. Monument Dedication Date:||1926|
The Great War
In Memory Of Our
World War 2
In Memory Of Our Fallen Comrades