Memorial School of ArtsPrint Page Print this page


Photographs supplied by Glen Yeomans / Sandra Brown

The Memorial School of Arts commemorates those who have served in the various conflicts in which Australia has been involved. The building was originally erected to commemorate those who served in World War One and was officially opened on the 27th July 1921. 

There had been several attempts in past years to establish a School of Arts in this centre, but without success. To the local Progress Association the present movement is due. It was originally intended to erect a monument as a memorial to district soldiers who had enlisted in the service of the Empire. Subsequently this proposal was turned down, and it was decided to erect a School of Arts which, while serving as a memorial to all who had enlisted from the district, would also be of a direct and material benefit to those who returned. A public appeal for donations was made, and various functions in aid of the movement were organised, and a substantial amount was received. Besides this a valuable block of land (situated on the corner of Binnia and Booyamurra streets) was donated by Mr.J. M. Allison.  A plan of the proposed building was submitted by Mr. J. W. Sproule (one of the returned soldiers on the Oban Settlement Area) and such was accepted. The proposed building is to be built of stone, and will contain a reading room, library, and billiard room, while a handsome portico will serve the purpose of a reception room. A memorial tablet will be erected in the main entrance hall, and the building, when completed, will be a decided acquisition and ornament to the town and district. 

When the sports meeting was first suggested it was decided that the laying of the foundation stone should be a portion of the days proceedings. Mr. J.M. Allison was invited to perform that ceremony, and accepted the invitation in view of the many acts of public benefit that Mr. Allison had conferred on the town, the committee thought it fitting that a public welcome should be accorded to him. However, in deference to Mr. Allison's wish, this was dispensed with. 
Mudgee Guardian and North-Western Representative (NSW), 
9 January 1919.

The Memorial School of Arts was officially opened to the public on Wednesday night, and to mark the occasion a social evening was held. This was of a character eminently appropriate to the building and was enjoyably participated in by the large congregation of citizens.  At an interval in the proceedings, the chairman, Mr. E. T. Scully, appealed to the public to keep the institution going. They knew what benefit it would be to them and for the soldiers who went away, in whose honor it was erected. They had to remember that it was their own building and belonged to each and every person in the district. It was therefore incumbent on all to give, to help it along. They wanted all the members they could get, and all the help necessary to keep it going. He spoke of the strenuous work the committee had had to get the institution on a working basis. They had to struggle against the hard times of drought and flood but by hard work they had succeeded, and that night was opening the building to the public.
Excerpt from Mudgee Guardian and North-Western Representative (NSW),  28 July 1921. 


Address:Binnia & Booyamurra Streets, Coolah, 2843
GPS Coordinates:Lat: -31.825482
Long: 149.717812
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
View Google Map


Monument Type:Structure
Monument Theme:Conflict


Actual Monument Dedication Date:Thursday 26th December, 1918
Front Inscription



1914  1918
Australian Imperial Force
[ Names]

Sudan 1885
[ Name ]
Boer War 1899 - 1902
[ Names ]
Korean War 1950 - 1953
[ Names ]
Vietnam War 1962 - 1972
[ Names ]

Plaque :

This Stone Was Laid By
26th December 1918.

Right Side Inscription

1939  1945
Their Names Liveth For Evermore
Australian Imperial Force
[ Names ]

Source: MA,SKP
Monument details supplied by Monument Australia - www.monumentaustralia.org.au
Proudly sponsored by UBC Web Design