Branxton Memorial RotundaPrint Page
The Memorial Rotunda was originally erected to commemorate those who served in World War One. The rotunda contains marble honour rolls of those who served. An Australia Remembers plaque has been added to commemorate those who served in World War Two.
The memorial band rotunda, in the Branxton Park, and the marble slabs bearing the names of all the soldiers who enlisted in the district, were unveiled on Saturday afternoon by Councillor. T. Brown, President of the Cessnock Shire Council, before a large attendance. Dr. Wood submitted the financial statement and stated that the memorial funds were in credit £46 after paying all expenses. He explained that the long delay in not having the unveiling ceremony was through the inability of the committee to secure all the names of the soldiers. Mr. W. F. O'Hearn, M.P. congratulated the residents on having decided on such a useful monument. He expressed the opinion that the returned soldiers were not being cared for as they should be, especially by the people who boasted they would support them on their return from the war.
Newcastle Morning Herald and Miners' Advocate (NSW),
25 June 1923.
|Address:||John Rose Avenue, Branxton Park, Branxton, 2335|
|GPS Coordinates:||Lat: -32.654892|
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
|Actual Monument Dedication Date:||Saturday 23rd June, 1923|
Erected In Honor Of Those
Who Left This District
To Serve Their King And Country
In The Great War
1914 - 1919
And In Memory Of Those Who Fell
1939 - 1945
1939 - 1945
In Honour Of
The Men & Women
Who Served Australia
In Time Of Conflict
During World War II
Lest We Forget