Bowraville War MemorialPrint Page
Bowraville War Memorial commemorates those who have served in conflicts in which Australia has been involved. The memorial was originally erected to commemorate those who served in World War One with the names of those who served in World War Two added to the memorial at a later date. At either side of the memorial are plaques commemorating those who served in Korea, Vietnam and National Service.
The ceremony of unveiling the soldiers` memorial took place on Saturday, Mr.R.G. Vincent performing the ceremony, Mr. Vincent, on behalf of the committee, presented Mrs. McGree with a pair of scissors inscribed, with which to cut the ribbon. Mrs. McGree had four sons who served in war, three of whom paid the supreme sacrifice. The memorial is a simple column of polished trachyte from Bowral, the contractors were Messrs. C. D. Hedges and Co., and the architect Mr. E. Coleman. On the face is a bronze panel, with the names of the 45 local men who fell in the Great War. The bronze work is by Messrs. Powell and Hohnon, Sydney. The cost of the monument was £535. Councillor Connors, the shire president, was in the chair and a large crowd of people assembled witness the ceremony.
The Sydney Morning Herald (NSW), 28 October 1924.
|Address:||29 High Street, Bowraville, 2449|
|GPS Coordinates:||Lat: -30.645833|
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
|Monument Designer:||E. Coleman (architect)|
|Monument Manufacturer:||C.D.Hedges & Co.|
|Actual Monument Dedication Date:||Saturday 25th October, 1924|