Bowral and District War MemorialPrint Page
Bowral and District War Memorial is a concrete and marble obelisk surmounted by a cross and was originally erected to commemorate those from Bowral and district who served in World War One. The monument was rededicated on the 11th November 2003 to commemorate those who died in service or were killed in action during World War Two. In 2008 a plaque was added to the memorial to commemorate those who lost their lives in the Korean War.
The entry to monument is through a gateway of two pillars which has a wrought iron arch with the words "Lest We Forget".
The ceremony of unveiling the war memorial erected by the people of Bowral, Glenquarry and Burradoo, was performed this afternoon by his Excellency, Slr Walter Davidson, in the presence of a very large assemblage of townspeople and residents of the district, including Sir George Fuller, Chief -Secretary, Mr. J. Garland, Attorney-General, the Mayor and Aldermen of Bowral Council, Miss Constance Smith, hon. secretary, Mr. Ebb. Davis hon. treasurer. His Excellency, who was accompanied by Lady Davidson, and attended by Captain Addison, was introduced by the Mayor, Alderman H. J. Pickard.
The memorial is erected in a central position, at the corner of Bong Bong and Merrigang streets. lt is constructed of polished trachyte from local quarries and contains 211 names, of whom 40 made the supreme sacrifice. The total cost will be about £500, which was subscribed by direct giving.
The Sydney Morning Herald (NSW), 31 January 1920.
|Address:||Bong Bong & Merrigang Streets, Bowral, 2576|
|GPS Coordinates:||Lat: -34.477481|
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
|Monument Designer:||H Sheaffe|
|Actual Monument Dedication Date:||Friday 30th January, 1920|
These Men Died Leaving An Example Of
Noble Courage And Devotion To Duty
[ Names ]
This Memorial Was Erected By The People Of Bowral And Glenquarry
In Honour Of Those Who Served The Empire During
The GREAT WAR 1914 1918.
Honour Roll WWII 1939 - 1945
[ Names ]
This Stone Was Set By
Sir George Fuller K.C.M.G.M.L.A.
On August 4th 1919
Officially re-dedicated by:
Air Chief Marshall Sir Neville McNamara
KBE; AO; AFC; AE.
Royal Australian Air Force (Retd)
11th November 2003.
To the memory of the citizens of Bowral who
sacrificed their lives in World War II 1939 - 1945
and eternal gratitude to those who also served.
In Eternal Gratitude Of The Citizens Of
Bowral To those Who Served In The Korean
War 1950 to 1954
[ Names ]
This plaque was unveiled by John Cummins OAM
President Bowral RSL Sub Branch
Anzac Day 2008
Arch - Lest We Forget
Left Pillar -
They shall grow not old
as we that are
left grow old. Age
shall not weary
them nor the years
condemn. At the
going down of the sun
and in the morning
we shall remember them.
Right Pillar -