Mullengrove Public School War MemorialPrint Page
Mullengrove Public School War Memorial commemorates ex-scholars from the school and district who served in World War One and World War Two. The memorial was originally unveiled at the end of the First World War. The tablet containing the names of those who served in World War Two was unveiled on the memorial on the 26th April 1954.
Approximately 100 residents of the Jerrara district gathered around the obelisk in the picturesque Mullengrove School grounds on last for the of the memorial tablet commemorating the memory of those who enlisted from the area in the last World War. The chairman of the official proceedings, Mr. H. Price, in formed the gathering that 22 residents of the Jerrara district enlisted for service in the 1939- 45 war and he was happy to their homes. "Our district is only a small one but from the tablet it will be seen that the residents played their part in defending their country. They have all returned to us and today are very fine citizens." Mr. Price reminded the gathering that while they were gathered around the memorial to Jerrara's servicemen and women they were also there to pay tribute to all who went forth in the service of their country.
The gathering joined in the singing of the hymn "Oh God Our Help In Ages Past" and the chairman then introduced the Shire President, Cr. E. G. Clements, who expressed thanks for the invitation to be present and congratulated the Jerrara residents on their very fine effort. He recalled that the great majority whose names appeared on the memorial tablet had received their education at the small school and it was most appropriate that the memorial should stand in the school grounds. The president of the Crookwell sub-branch of the RSL, Mr. D. C. McDonald, was asked by Mr. Price to carry out the unveiling ceremony and he commented that he was deeply im pressed by the form of the memorial which was so appropriate to the granite hills surrounding the locality. He also considered its location most appropriate for it was where the young men who enlisted learned the love of country which prompted their service. "The number of names on the tablet indicates that the district is very sound of heart for 22 is a large number for so small a district and the perpetuation of their memory must surely provide an inspiration to the younger generation." Mr. McDonald referred to the two great virtues of life — service and loyalty and added that the memorial tablet would remain as a constant reminder that the residents of the district had sought to serve their country in loyal manner. Wreaths were laid following the unveiling of the tablet and all later adjourned to the school building where afternoon tea was served by the ladies. It was interesting to note that amongst those present was Mrs. Ambrose George who was largely responsible for the erection of the obelisk following the end of the first World War. The inscription on the tablet reads as follows : "To the honour, of those ex-service personnel who served in World War II."
Crookwell Gazette (NSW), 28 April 1954.
|Address:||Jerrara Road, Former Mullengrove School site, Narrawa, 2583|
|GPS Coordinates:||Lat: -34.480394|
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
To The Honor And Glory
Of Those Ex-Scholars
Of Mullengrove Public School
Who Served In The Great War
1914 - 1919.
To The Honour And Glory
Of Those Ex-Scholars
And District Service Personnel
Who Served In The Great War II
1939 - 1945.