School of SignalsPrint Page
A monument commemorates the significance of this site to the Royal Australia Corps of Signals whose members trained here from 1945 to 1970.
|Address:||Nepean Highway, between old Balcombe Camp parade ground and Mace Oval , Mount Martha, 3934|
|GPS Coordinates:||Lat: -38.270377|
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
|Approx. Event Start Date:||1945|
|Approx. Event End Date:||1970|
|Approx. Monument Dedication Date:||May-2013|
The Army Headquarters School of Signals relocated to this site early in 1945.
In 1946, the 1st Signals Deport Battalion co-located and in 1947 the two units combined as the Army School of Signals.
The role of the School was to provide trade training in the special skills required by men and women employed in the Australian Signals Corps. Promotion training was also conducted for Officers, Warrant Officers and Non Commissioned Officers of the Corps.
The School of Signals relocated to Watsonia Barracks, MacLeod, Victoria in 1970.
This plaque commemorates the significance of the site to the Royal Australian Corps of Signals, the dedication of the military and civilian staff who served at the School and the contribution of the students who trained here from 1945 to 1970.
Plaque provied by the Royal Australian Signals Association