ANZAC Centenary Wall Print Page
The ANZAC Centenary Wall commemorates the services of all men and women of the armed forces. It will provides information about the history of the Mothers' Memorial..
The ANZAC Centenary Wall will hold all future plaques approved to be placed in the Mothers' Memorial Garden precinct. Plaques have been located on the Boer War Gates at the Margaret Street entrance to the Gardens in the past, but this area can no longer accommodate any new plaques.
The intent of the ANZAC Centenary Wall is to ensure that the Mothers' Memorial remains the dominant memorial in this war memorial precinct, by providing a location for new plaques. It will also provide a gateway entrance to the Mothers' Memorial precinct from the Toowoomba Central Business District.
Funding for the project was received from the Australian Government’s ANZAC Centenary Local Grants Program and the Queensland Governnment.
|Address:||Margaret & Kitchener Streets, East Creek Park, East Toowoomba, 4350|
|GPS Coordinates:||Lat: -27.562243|
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
|Approx. Monument Dedication Date:||2015|
The Mothers` Memorial was constructed as a symbolic monument dedicated to the memory of those who gave their lives in the Great War (1914 - 1918) for the liberty of Toowoomba. The vision for this memorial was presented to the city of Toowoomba by prominent women of the community at the time, and therefore was referred to as the `mothers` proposal`.
Funding for the memorial was raised by these women in part by selling bunches of Viola odorata (the Toowoomba Violet). The memorial was erected in the centre of Toowoomba at the intersection of Margaret and Ruthven streets in 1921 and officially unveiled on 28 January 1922.
Further panels were added to the memorial in 1955 to record the names of fallen soldiers during the Second World War and the Korean War, and in the 1970s following the Vietnam conflict.
Lest We Forget
Mothers` Memorial Gardens
The Mothers` Memorial Gardens : From the mid 1960s attempts to move the memorial out of the growing urban centre of Toowoomba were met with fierce opposition each time. The Mothers` Memorial was eventually moved to its current location in the East Creek Park in October 1985, `to enable the remebrance of loved ones in a reflective and sutiable setting`.
This location, now known as the Mothers` Memorial Gardens, offers a place where the memorial can be observed in a peaceful environment.