Shore ChapelPrint Page
The Shore Chapel is a memorial to Old Boys of the School who lost their lives in conflicts in which Australia has been involved. Originally a memorial to those who lost their lives in World War One, the chapel contains memorial windows and plaques to former students who lost their lives in both World Wars.
Built in 1914 in recognition of the School’s twenty-fifth anniversary, the Shore Chapel was opened on the 4th May, 1915, only a few days after the Gallipoli landings. Casualty lists brought the sad news that Shore boys were among the fallen. For another three and a half years the war continued and the School Chapel became a memorial to the Old Boys who lost their lives.
The chapel for the Sydney Church of England Grammar School at North Sydney, which was dedicated by the Archbishop of Sydney on the 4th inst, is one of the most modern school chapels in New South Wales. The building is designed in the transitional style of architecture, and has been built principally of brick, with stone dressings. The cost of the building has been about £6000 to date. The work has been carried out by Messrs. J. M. and A. Pringle, builders, of Waverley, from the plans and under the superintendence of Mr. Clamp, architect.
The Sydney Morning Herald (NSW) 18 May 1915.
|Address:||Blue Street, Church of England Grammar School, North Sydney, 2060|
|GPS Coordinates:||Lat: -33.840894|
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
|Actual Event STart Date:||04-August-1914|
|Actual Event End Date:||28-June-1919|
|Monument Designer:||Mr Clamp (architect)|
|Monument Manufacturer:||Messrs J.M.& A. Pringle|
|Actual Monument Dedication Date:||Tuesday 4th May, 1915|