Avenue of Honour MonumentPrint Page
A monument commemorates solderis who died in service or were killed in action in World Wars One and Two. 43 names of service personnel who had plaques dedicated for the original Avenue of Honour in Geelong Road, but were not recovered when Geelong Road was widened.
The garden is based upon the alignment of the original Avenue of Honour, and conveys a key message of strength through unity as well as contemplation and reflection for those who gave their lives in conflict.
The ceremonial terrace has a series of interlocking concrete plinths that support 225 original memorial plaques from the Geelong Road Avenue of Honour.
The Geelong Road Avenue of Honour was a Citizen's memorial funded by the community and established in 1947 for those who died in World Wars One and Two. The widening of Geelong Road in the 1960's resulted in substantial changes to the original avenue and overtime many of the plaques were no longer visible.
The decision to relocate the plaques to the entrance of Footscray Park was made in consultation with the community in 2009. The goal was to develop a setting that was accessible by the community for both private reflection and commemorative ceremonies.
|Address:||Ballarat Road & Mills Close, Footscray Park, Footscray, 3011|
|GPS Coordinates:||Lat: -37.794097|
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
|Approx. Monument Dedication Date:||April-2013|
` Keeping forever in our minds the memory of men and women who, in the flower of their youth, gave their lives so that we might continue to live in peace and freedom `.
City of Footscray dedication program for the Avenue of Honour, 2 August 1947
The Avenue of Honour
Ash trees in rows four deep were planted along the area`s Memorial Avenur of Honour, with each plaque set in the kerb opposite a tree. The planting of the Avenue followed a public appeal to raise £3,500 for the memorial, which was to be '...dedicated to citizens who fell in any war in which Australia had been engaged.`
Following great changes to Geelong Road and the City of Footscray over subsequent years, the plaques were relocated to Footscray Park in 2012.
[ Names ]
Lest We Forget
These 43 names are those of servicemen and women whose plaques were not recovered from the Avenue, where they were originally located.