Melville Soldiers Memorial Park Print Page
Melville Soldiers Memorial Park was dedicated in memory of those from the district who served in conflicts in which Australia has been involved. The memorial park was originally established in memory of those who served in World War One.
The War Memorial and the Park were rededicated on the 10th November 2002 to commemorate those who served in all conflicts.
The reconstructed oval at the Soldiers' Memorial Park was opened at Yorketown. A considerable expenditure of money and labor had been incurred in levelling and top dressing the playing area and building mounds and although over £80 was received in contributions, the bank overdraft, guaranteed by the committee amounted to £150. It was to wipe this off that the gala opening day was held. The net amount received was £291.
The Advertiser (Adelaide), 22 September 1934.
The Soldiers' Memorial Park committee, of which Mr. E. E. Lloyd is chairman, recently let a contract for the erection of memorial gates at the park entrance on the Stansbury road. The work is nearing completion, and will be a great improvement on the present wooden gates. The wooden gates, which were donated by the Cheer-up Society, will be removed to the entrance of the croquet court in the south corner of the park, facing the Memorial Drive, which was recently opened for traffic. The district council has planted two avenues of gumtrees in this drive, which leads from Stansbury road to Edithburgh road, with entrances to the oval, croquet court, and the proposed bowling green.
News (Adelaide), 9 June 1938.
|Address:||40 Stansbury Road, Yorketown, 5576|
|GPS Coordinates:||Lat: -35.018632|
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.