Fort Scratchley Historical Site PlaquesPrint Page
The Fort Scratchley Historical Site was dedicated in 2002 to all serving and Ex-service men and women of Australia.
Fort Scratchley, a former coastal defence installation, is now a museum. It is located in Newcastle East, a suburb of Newcastle, New South Wales in Australia. It was built in 1882 to defend the city against a possible Russian attack. However, its guns were not fired in anger until 8 June 1942, during the shelling of Newcastle. The Australian Army left the site in 1972.
In January 2004, Council and the Australian Government executed an agreement whereby the Government would restore Fort Scratchley Historic Site, then transfer ownership to the Council. The Fort was closed to the public in April 2004. Restoration works were completed in 2008 enabling the transfer of the site to Council on 29 June 2008.
|Address:||Nobbys Road, Newcastle East, 2300|
|GPS Coordinates:||Lat: -32.926213|
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
|Actual Monument Dedication Date:||Saturday 1st June, 2002|
This plaque was unveiled by
The Hon John Howard , MP Prime Minister
Saturday 1 June 2002
at a ceremony dedicating Fort Scratchley to all Serving and Ex-Service men and women of Australia.
Cr John S Tate W Hopkins JP
Lord Mayor President
City of Newcastle Fort Scratchley Historical Society
THIS PLAQUE WAS UNVEILED TO MARK THE COMPLETION
OF REFURBISHMENT WORKS AND THE TRANSFER OF OWNERSHIP
OF FORT SCRATCHLEY BY THE COMMONWEALTH OF AUSTRALIA
TO THE CITIZENS OF NEWCASTLE
SUNDAY 29 JUNE 2008
The Honourable Greg Combet AM MP
Parliamentary Secretary For Defence Procurement
Councillor John S.Tate
Lord Mayor Of Newcastle