Holy Trinity War Memorial Gates Print Page
Holy Trinity Church, Merriwa, was filled to overflowing, many being unable to gain admission, when Rev. G. A. Fisher, newly appointed Rector, was inducted to the cure of souls in the Parish of Merriwa, on Sunday morning last. At the close of the Confirmation Service the Bishop, accompanied by the clergy, led the procession of the congregation to the Memorial Gates at the entrance of the church grounds.
On arrival at the gates the Bishop recited a number of special prayers, dedicating the gates to "The glory of God and to the memory of those members of the church who made the supreme sacrifice in the two World Wars." The Bishop then cut the white ribbon, which was stretched from the stone pillars and, opening the gates, passed through, at the same time remarking: "Let all who enter here do so with prayerful hearts, to give glory to God for the sacrifices made by those to whose memory the gates were erected."
The Muswellbrook Chronicle (NSW), 13 November 1953.
|Address:||40 Bow Street, Holy Trinity Church, Merriwa, 2329|
|GPS Coordinates:||Lat: -32.140201|
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
|Actual Monument Dedication Date:||Sunday 8th February, 1953|
TO THE GLORY OF GOD AND IN MEMORY OF THE MEMBERS OF THIS CHURCH WHO SERVED THEIR KING AND COUNTRY IN TWO WORLD WARS,
1914 - 18 1939-45
DEDICATED BY FRANCIS, LORD BISHOP OF NEWCASTLE NOVEMBER 8, 1953