4 Squadron Royal Australian Air ForcePrint Page
Plaque commemorates those who served with No 4 Squadron Australian Flying Corps during World War One and No 4 Army Co-op Squadron during World War Two.
The squadron was previously a fighter and army co-operation unit active in both World War One and World War Two. Originally formed in late 1917, the squadron served on the Western Front as part of the Australian Flying Corps until the armistice in November 1918. It was disbanded after the war in mid-1919, but was later re-raised twice in 1937 and 1940 before deploying to New Guinea in 1942 where it supported military forces by spotting for artillery and providing reconnaissance and close air support. As the war progressed, the squadron also took part in the Huon Peninsula, New Britain and Borneo campaigns. It was disbanded in early 1948, but was re-formed in 2009 to provide training to forward air controllers and to support Special Operations Command.
|Address:||Argyle Place & Lower Fort Street, The Garrison Church, Millers Point, 2000|
|GPS Coordinates:||Lat: -33.858434|
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
(Metal Plaque )
TO THE GLORY OF GOD
AND TO THE MEMORY OF THOSE
WHO SERVED WITH
NO. 4 SQUADRON A.F.C. 1916 - 1918
NO. 4 ARMY CO-OP SQUADRON 1939 - 1945