Soldiers Memorial Park Print Page
The Soldiers Memorial Park was the site of the Soldiers Memorial Hall which was originally erected to commemorate those who served in World War One. The hall was used by the military forces in World War Two and as a venue for Anzac Services for many years.
The Soldiers Memorial Hall, formally the School of Arts, was initially used as a library. It consisted of one room and a front verandah. During the early 1940's, while much of Helidon was taken over by the combined Armies who had set up residence in Seventeen Mile Rd, Kelly's Road and Airforce Road, the Army decided to enlarge the building to accommodate an very large dance hall, complete with stage. The building then became the recreational venue for servicemen. They conducted concerts, dances and movie presentations. When the Hall was removed in 1992, it was broken up into sections. The original front and entrance was dismantled and taken to become part of the Gatton Heritage Village, and the dance floor section was dismantled and given to the Girl Guides to build the Girl Guides Hut.
|Address:||Turner Street, Helidon, 4344|
|GPS Coordinates:||Lat: -27.550114|
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.