Freestone Memorial Hall Print Page
Originally a School of Arts, the Freestone Memorial Hall was renamed in honour of those who gave and sacrificed their lives in the defence of their country.
From the records of the Hall Committee, it appears that the School of Arts was built in 1900. The original site of this building was adjacent to Freestone Creek Road and Jack Smith’s Gully Road, on property now owned by Norman Gillespie. With the township growing, it was decided that the School of Arts and caretaker’s cottage should be moved to Freestone Road. The re-opening of the hall was held on Saturday the 2nd September 1922 and took the form of a concert and dance. Mr P McMahon was invited to declare the School of Arts open.
On September 26th 1946, a public meeting was called to discuss the proposal to make the present School of Arts a Memorial to those who gave and those who offered their lives in defence of their country. The proposal also called for the hall to be remodelled and painted and the name changed to the Freestone School of Arts and Memorial Hall. To raise money for the Memorial and remodelling, donations of a bag of wheat, or the value of a bag of wheat were given to the Committee by locals. The wheat was sold and all proceeds went to the Hall funds. In 1959, the QCWA, in conjunction with the Hall Committee, held a fete to raise funds for further extensions. It is also noted that the hall was lined and sealed and the Honour Board renovated.
The hall was renamed The Freestone Memorial Hall sometime in the 1950s. In January 1993, the name changed from the Freestone Memorial Hall to Freestone Memorial Hall Association Incorporated.
|Address:||1244 Freestone Road, Freestone, 4370|
|GPS Coordinates:||Lat: -28.131557|
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.