Honour Avenue PlaquesPrint Page
The names of over 200 World War One and Two veterans have been put in a time capsule at Spotwood’s Veterans Reserve in a tribute to the original Avenue of Honour. Two granite plaques are inscribed with “let their names be forever held in proud remembrance, lest we forget”. The Commemoration Park Memorial Committee has given Hobsons Bay Council a letter of authority to open the time capsules in 50 years and read out the names of the fallen. The plaques were paid for by the community, traders and Hobsons Bay Council and were 11 years in the making.
In 1947, more than 700 name plaques were installed in the nature strips and service road median strips along Geelong Rd in Footscray to create the original Avenue of Honour. The avenue was later demolished when the road was widened with ony 257 plaques from the original 700 remaining. Most of the plaques are buried beneath Geelong Rd, while a large number had been salvaged from a rubbish tip. More were found in 2009 in the backyard of a dilapidated council-owned property in Yarraville.
|Address:||Melbourne Road & Mary Street, Veterans Reserve, Spotswood, 3015|
|GPS Coordinates:||Lat: -37.828128|
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
|Actual Monument Dedication Date:||Sunday 17th October, 2010|