South African Memorial FountainPrint Page
Subscription lists for donations to build the memorial were circulated in March 1901 with a view to making the subscription general but not burdensome - a sum of one shilling was proposed. Schoolchildren contributed at the suggestion of Mr S. T Staughton who was the major donor.
The fountain was unveiled in November 1901, six months before the war ended, in front of the original freestone post office. A detachment of Victorian Mounted Rifles and Cadets were on parade. A speaker, Mr. Kyle, quoted the late Mr. Staughton as saying, "This little fountain testifies to the unity of the Empire and the determination and the ability of the British race to uphold it." In October 1990 it was pulled over and smashed by vandals. It was restored by April 1991.
|Address:||Main Street, Visitor Information Centre , Bacchus Marsh, 3340|
|GPS Coordinates:||Lat: -37.675867|
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
|Actual Event STart Date:||11-October-1899|
|Actual Event End Date:||31-May-1902|
|Approx. Monument Dedication Date:||November-1901|
This fountain was erected to perpetuate the memory of those who were selected from this district to serve the Queen and Country in South Africa 1st Contingent V.M.R. (names)