www.monumentaustralia.org.au

South African (Boer) War MemorialPrint Page Print this page

29-April-2011 (Glen Yeomans)
29-April-2011 (Glen Yeomans)

Photographs supplied by Glen Yeomans / Sandra Brown

The sandstone obelisk which was originally a fountain, commemorates those who died in service or were killed in action during the South African (Boer) War.  In addition to the names of the soldiers, there are two marble insets showing crossed swords and helmet.

The helmet bears a plate of the New South Wales Military Forces. The other has crossed rifles with bugle underneath. On the butt of one of the rifles the number can be clearly seen " 10 N.S.W. ".

 

Location

Address:Lachlan Street, Memorial Park, Condobolin, 2877
State:NSW
Area:AUS
GPS Coordinates:Lat: -33.090389
Long: 147.148528
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
View Google Map

Details

Monument Type:Monument
Monument Theme:Conflict
Sub-Theme:Boer
Actual Event STart Date:11-October-1899
Actual Event End Date:31-May-1902
Monument Designer:R. Parkhill & Sons (Waverley, NSW)

Dedication

Actual Monument Dedication Date:Friday 31st July, 1903
Front Inscription

In memory of soldiers of Condobolin and District who lost their lives in the service of the Empire, in South Africa 1899 - 1902.

This monument was erected as a tribute of respect by the residents of the District.

Back Inscription

In memory of 

Lieut. Robert White

Sergt. George W. Davidson

Trooper John Wardell

Trooper Robert Cameron

Right Side Inscription

South African War Memorial

Unveiled July 31, 1903 by Sir John See, Premier of NSW.

This Boer War Memorial Fountain, was originally placed at the intersection of Bathurst and McDonnell Streets and remained there until 1964 when it was relocated to its present site within the Memorial Park.

The monument was built from a single block of yellow Waverley sandstone in order to maintain the uniformity of colour an texture.  It stand 18 feet hugh and weighs 8 tons.

In addtion to the names of the soldiers who lost their lives, one marble inset shows crossed swords and a helmet, which bears a plate of the New South Wales Military Forces.  The other marble inset has crossed rifles and a bugle.  The guns are an exact replica of the Lee-Metford rifle used in the Boer War.  The monument is unique in this respect, as no other in the State has guns of a similar design.

The moulded and carved sprays depict a laurel wreath and ribbon on two sides, the other two a laurel and oak spray.

Prior to its removal, the two small alcoves each contained a brass drinking tap and copper cup attached with a brass chain.  Around the base of the monument posts and chains were placed in two semi circles, leaving openings at each end for access to the taps,  The monument was originally fitted with gas lights, lit at night by the town lamplighter.  Contractors were the well known masons R. Parkhill & Sons of Waverley, Sydney, personally carved by J. W. Parkhill at his studio.

Mojument restoration 2008   Informative Plaque 2009

Condobolin & District Historical Society,  Condobolin R.S.L. Sub Branch.
With assistance from the Lachlan Shire Council`s Local Heritage Fund.

 

Source: MA,SKP,NRWM
Monument details supplied by Monument Australia - www.monumentaustralia.org.au
Proudly sponsored by UBC Web Design