Murgon War MemorialPrint Page
Murgon War Memorial was originally erected to commemorate the fallen of World War One. An additional plaque was added to the memorial to commemorate the fallen of World War Two. Murgon residents took pride in the fact their war memorial was unveiled free of debt, and that their list of volunteers was abnormally high.
The foundation stone in memory of the glorious dead was laid by Lieut Col M Wilder Neligan, CMG, DSO, DSM on the 25th April 1920. The original digger memorial was unveiled by Major General Spencer Browne, Chairman of the Returned Soldiers and Sailors Imperial League on the 11th November 1921. The memorial the work Lowther & Son was erected at a cost of £500. On the unveiling of the memorial, the Murgon band played " Lead, Kindly Light " after which the names of the fallen were read out to the assembly. The Queenslander (Brisbane), 26th November 1921.
|Address:||Lamb Street, Murgon, 4605|
|GPS Coordinates:||Lat: -26.242017|
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
|Actual Event STart Date:||04-August-1914|
|Actual Event End Date:||28-June-1919|
|Monument Manufacturer:||P. J. Lowther & Son (Petrie Bight, QLD)|
|Actual Monument Dedication Date:||Sunday 25th April, 1920|
FOR THEIR COUNTRY THEY DIED
(Plaque at foot of monument)
This Stone Was Laid By
Lieut Col M Wilder Neligan, CMG, DSO, DSM,
In Memory of our Glorious Dead
Who Fell in the Great War
25th April 1920.