Sailors` & Soldiers` War MemorialPrint Page
The Sailors` and Soldiers` War Memorial is a clock tower surmounted by a statue of a `digger` which was erected in memory of the fallen of World War One. The names of two women appear on the list of the fallen.
Originally the memorial had a 4-faced electric clock, which served as the town clock however the clock is now missing and clock dials have since been painted to represent 4.28am, the time of the original landing of the ANZAC`s on Gallipoli. The memorial was the most costly World War One memorial in Queensland.
It was relocated to its present position in 1972.
The memorial was unveiled on Anzac Day 1926 by His Worship, The Mayor of Cairns, Alderman A.J.Draper. The cost of the memorial which was erected by Melrose and Fenwick was £2074. After the day portion of the ceremony was completed at 9pm that night the "Last Post" was sounded by Bugler H Brown, a native of the Etheridge District, in front of a silent crowd of between 600 and 700 persons.
Townsville Daily Bulletin, 29th April 1926.
|Address:||The Esplanade, Cairns, 4870|
|GPS Coordinates:||Lat: -16.917426|
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
|Actual Event STart Date:||04-August-1914|
|Actual Event End Date:||28-June-1919|
|Monument Manufacturer:||Melrose & Fenwick (Townsville, QLD)|
|Actual Monument Dedication Date:||Sunday 25th April, 1926|
THEIR NAME LIVETH FOR EVERMORE
GREATER LOVE HATH NO MAN THAN THIS
TO THE SACRED MEMORY OF THOSE WHO ENLISTED FROM CAIRNS AND MADE THE SUPREME SACRIFICE IN THE GREAT WAR
1914 - 1918
THE MOMENTS PASS BUT NE'ER SHALL DIE
THE MEMORY OF OUR HONOURED DEAD.
WHO MARCHING WITHER DUTY LEAD
WITH DEATH DEATH, MET IMMORTALITY.
THE NAMES OF THOSE WHO PAID THE PRICE FOR US AND FOR THE LAND WE LOVE.
BE BEACON FIRES TO ALL WHO MOVE ON LOWLIER WAYS OF SACRIFICE.
HOW SLEEP THE BRAVE WHO SINK TO REST
BY ALL THEIR COUNTRY'S WISHES BLEST.