Dr Daniel CurdiePrint Page Print this page

Dr. Daniel Curdie
Dr. Daniel Curdie

Photographs supplied by Graeme Saunders

The monument commemorates Daniel Curdie , a pioneer doctor of the area and first president of the Shire of Hampden. 

After arriving in Australia in September 1839, Dr. Curdie and his nephew overlanded to Port Phillip, and, on reaching Melbourne. camped with their stock on the site of the present Botanic Gardens. On 8th October, 1840, Dr. Curdie fixed his homestead at "Tandarook," 12 miles south of the present town of Camperdown.

For 11 years Dr. Curdie combined squatting with the practice of his profession. He was an enterprising pastoralist, who unselfishly devoted time and means to many objects for the public good and was distinguished by his kindness to the local aborigines. He died in 1884.




Address:Manifold Street, Camperdown, 3260
GPS Coordinates:Lat: -38.231779
Long: 143.146099
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
View Google Map


Monument Type:Monument
Monument Theme:People


Front Inscription

Daniel Curdie M. D. 

A pioneer of this District who settled at Tandarook in 1842.  

Born 1810 Died 1884

Source: MA,RHSV
Monument details supplied by Monument Australia - www.monumentaustralia.org.au
Proudly sponsored by UBC Web Design