www.monumentaustralia.org.au

Early Pioneers of Goonoo GoonooPrint Page Print this page

24-September-2017
24-September-2017

Photographs supplied by Peter Williams
The plaque commemorates the early pioneers of Goonoo Goonoo. 

In 1841, the AACo (Australian Agricultural Company) established a sheep station at Goonoo Goonoo to further its merino business. It was there that a homestead was built, joined in the years to come (after a freehold title) by a school, a church, and an inn to welcome travellers. In 1849 the station became known as South Tamworth, a private company town, with the old highway (which now forms the main track through the village) trailing through it. Ownership over the following years was largely maintained by the AACo until present owners the Haggarty family purchased the then beef property in 2011, adding to a 1619ha subdivision of Goonoo Goonoo purchased in 2009.

Location

Address:New England Highway, Chapel, Goonoo Goonoo Station, Goonoo Goonoo, 2340
State:NSW
Area:AUS
GPS Coordinates:Lat: -31.304299
Long: 150.905514
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
View Google Map

Details

Monument Type:Plaque
Monument Theme:Landscape
Sub-Theme:Settlement

Dedication

Front Inscription

To The Memory Of
The Early Pioneers
Of Goonoo Goonoo

 

Source: MA
Monument details supplied by Monument Australia - www.monumentaustralia.org.au
Proudly sponsored by UBC Web Design