www.monumentaustralia.org.au

125 Years Settlement of YackaPrint Page Print this page

05-June-2020
05-June-2020

Photographs supplied by Stephen Warren

The plaque commemorates the 125th anniversary of settlement of the township and District of Yacka from 1870 to 1995.

In 1869, the township of Yacka was surveyed within the Hundred of Yackamoorundie. The town was laid out on the traditional South Australian model, as a central square of residential and business allotments, surrounded by a hollow square of parklands, which in turn was surrounded by a fringe of twenty-acre smallholdings, or 'suburban blocks', with the rest of the hundred being laid out in farming sections.

In 1870 the first of the town blocks in Yacka were sold - the first buyers were Adelaide-based investors, but by 1873 farming, residential and business purchasers were arriving. The town boomed in the flush of enthusiasm of opening up new lands for settlement, and before the turn of the century, Yacka had two churches, a hotel, a fine new Institute, a school, road and rail bridges over the Broughton, a railway station and numerous groups and committees to run the town's social and business life. By then, too, the self-managing Hundred of Yackamoorundie had been incorporated into the District Council of Georgetown, along with Narridy and Gulnare.

Location

Address:Main North Road, Yacka, 5470
State:SA
Area:AUS
GPS Coordinates:Lat: -33.570614
Long: 138.444728
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
View Google Map

Details

Monument Type:Plaque
Monument Theme:Landscape
Sub-Theme:Settlement
Approx. Event Start Date:1870
Approx. Event End Date:1995

Dedication

Actual Monument Dedication Date:Sunday 29th October, 1995
Front Inscription

To commemorate one hundred and twenty five years settlement of the township and District of Yacka

1870 - 1995

Unveiled by Nan Witcomb on 29th October 1995

 

Source: MA
Monument details supplied by Monument Australia - www.monumentaustralia.org.au
Proudly sponsored by UBC Web Design