Boomanoomana South SchoolPrint Page Print this page


Photographs supplied by Ian Bevege

The monument commemorates the Boomanoomana South School which was closed in 1952. 

It is a rough-formed grey granite monolith approximately 1.5 metres high, set in concrete. It has two attached plaques, one listing details of teachers and period of the school's existence, the other details those involved in the erection of the monument


Address:Mulwala - Barooga Road , 5 kilometres from Barooga, Barooga, 3644
GPS Coordinates:Lat: -35.922037
Long: 145.749518
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
View Google Map


Monument Type:Monument
Monument Theme:Culture
Actual Event Start Date:17-March-1937
Actual Event End Date:19-June-1952


Actual Monument Dedication Date:Saturday 7th May, 2005
Front Inscription

Plaque :

Boomanoomana South School
Opened 17th March 1937
Closed 19th June 1952

Teachers at the school were
John Dalton McGuire  1937
George Little              1945
Raymond Sam           1948
Lawrence Lynch         1950

Plaque :

The Boomanoomana South Public School Commemorative Commitee was formed on 29th November 2004, at a meeting held at the Barooga Sports Club.

Geoff Backhouse was elected Chairperson
Vaness Danaher was elected Secretary
Committee Members : Jean Guthrie, Geoff Brentnall, Gerry O`Dwyer, Leo Bond, Noel Hicks, Colin Watson, Colin Cornish, Tom Danaher, David Stillard and John Stillard.

The project was funded by the following
O`Dwyer Family - Rock
Colin Watson - Plaque for Rock
Berrigan Shire
Barooga Sports Club
Boral Concrete
Geoff Backhouse
Jean Guthrie
Tom & Vanessa Danaher
Leo Bond
Geoff Brentnall

The Memorial Rock was unveiled by Mr John Bruce, Mayor of Berrigan Shire on Saturday 7th May 2005

The School Plaque was unveiled by Mrs Jean Guthrie


Source: MA
Monument details supplied by Monument Australia - www.monumentaustralia.org.au