www.monumentaustralia.org.au

Australian Women`s Land ArmyPrint Page Print this page

24-September-2020
24-September-2020

Photographs supplied by Stephen Warren

The park seat commemorates the former members of the Australian Women`s Land Army for their service during World War Two.

The Australian Women’s Land Army (A.W.L.A.) was formed during World War Two to combat rising labour shortages in the farming sector. From December 1941, when Japan entered the war, the nation’s need to build up its armed forces was placed above the needs of other industries. Agricultural labour was steadily diverted to the armed services and war industry.

To meet the shortfall in rural labour, State and private women’s land organisations were organised, modelled on those established in Great Britain during World War One and World War Two. A national body was formed on 27 July 1942 under the jurisdiction of the Director General of Manpower. While policy was devised by the Commonwealth Government, the organisation of the A.W.L.A. remained State-based. An extensive recruiting campaign was undertaken for new members. Most members of the existing land armies were later incorporated into the A.W.L.A.as well.

 

Location

Address:Dequetteville Terrace, Rymill Park Rose Garden, Adelaide, 5000
State:SA
Area:AUS
GPS Coordinates:Lat: -34.924014
Long: 138.616658
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
View Google Map

Details

Monument Type:Seat
Monument Theme:Conflict
Sub-Theme:WW2
Approx. Event Start Date:1945
Approx. Event End Date:1995

Dedication

Approx. Monument Dedication Date:1995
Front Inscription

To commemorate the Ex Australian Women`s Land Army

Australia Remembers 1945 - 1995

 

Monument details supplied by Monument Australia - www.monumentaustralia.org.au
Proudly sponsored by UBC Web Design