The Royal Society of Victoria Print Page
A glacial boulder transported by the Antarctic Division of the Department of External Affairs and mounted on four posts from Mawson Antarctica commemorates 100 years of endeavour by the Royal Society, especially its interest in Antarctic exploration and research. Stainless steel used in the plaque was produced from the first cold reduced coil produced in Australia by the Commonwealth Steel Company at Unanderra in New South Wales in 1959.
In 1854 ( 3 years after the discovery of gold in Victoria) The Philosophical Society of Victoria and the Victorian Institute for the Advancement of Science were formed. They amalgamated in 1859 to become The Royal Society of Victoria.
The Society developed and promoted Science in the fledgling colony, stimulating, fostering, and sustaining the development of astronomy, anthropology, agriculture, geology, and other natural sciences, engineering, and meteorology, as well as establishing Victoria's first public utilities. No other colony in Australia achieved such a high level of organised Science in such a short time.
|Address:||9 Victoria Street, Melbourne, 3000|
|GPS Coordinates:||Lat: -37.807644|
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
|Actual Monument Dedication Date:||Monday 7th December, 1959|
The Royal Society of Victoria Centenary Monument 1859-1959.
This monument was unveiled by the patron of the Society, His Excellency, the Governor of Vicotira, General Sir Dallas Brooks, K.C.B., K.C.M.G., K.C.V.O., D.S.O., K.StJ. 7th December 1959
This glacial boulder brought from Mawson, Antarctica, by the Antarctic Division of the Department of External Affairs has been set up to commemorate the completion of one hundred years of endeavour by this Society in its work for the advancement of science, and to mark its special interest in Antarctic exploration and research