Gold Discovery CairnPrint Page
Cairn marks the location of the discovery of gold at Croydon.
Gold was discovered in 1885 and by 1887, the town's population had reached 7,000. Gold was to be the main economic production of the area for four decades. The Mining Warden left in 1926 as there were too few miners left on the field. During its heyday, Croydon was the fourth largest town in the colony of Queensland.
|Address:||Gulf Developmental Road, Centenary Park , Croydon, 4871|
|GPS Coordinates:||Lat: -18.200153|
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.