Dickabram Bridge Centenary Print Page
A memorial commemorates the centenary of the construction of the Dickabram Bridge, which is a road and rail bridge over the Mary River. It was the major bridge on the Kingaroy line.
The heritage listed bridge is one of only two remaining road and rail bridges in Australia and the only one in Queensland. It is the oldest remaining large steel truss bridge constructed in Queensland.
The steel and timber truss bridge, built by McDermott Owen & Co., was completed in November 1886 and the line opened for traffic between Dickabram and Kilkivan on 6 December 1886. It is 191 metres long and stands 23 metres above the Mary River. All spans are metal trusses except for the 11 metre approach spans which are tied timber girders. The two river piers are cast iron cylinders; the remaining piers and road deck are timber.
|Address:||Miva Road, Miva, 4570|
|GPS Coordinates:||Lat: -25.953755|
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
|Actual Event STart Date:||1886|
|Actual Event End Date:||1986|
|Actual Monument Dedication Date:||Sunday 12th October, 1986|
This Commemorative Cairn Was Officially
Unveiled At The Public Celebration
Of The Centenary Of The Dickabram Bridge,
On Sunday, 12th October 1986
By The Chairman Of The Tiaro Shire,
Councillor Brian Dale
THIS PLAQUE WAS ERECTED ON 12th OCTOBER 1986, AS AN AUSTRALIAN BICENTENARY PROJECT, TO COMMEMORATE THE HISTORICAL SIGNIFICANCE AND THE CENTENARY OF THE DICKABRAM BRIDGE.
THE DICKABRAM BRIDGE WAS CONSTRUCTED BY McDERMOTT OWEN & COMPANY OF GEELONG, VICTORIA IN A CONTRACT SIGNED ON THE 8th AUGUST 1884 TO BE COMPLETED BY THE 1st JUNE 1886. THIS CONTRACT INCLUDED SEVERAL OTHER BRIDGES, DRAINAGE STRUCTURES, FORMATION & TRACK
CONSISTING OF A TOTAL LENGTH OF RAILWAY 26M 35CH 2LINKS
THE COST OF THIS STRUCTURE WAS £14,082 -18s-3d.