Historic Engineering Landmark-St Albans BridgePrint Page
Plaque recognises St Albans Bridge as an Historic Engineering Landmark.
The Institution of Engineers Australia, through its Heritage Committees, established the Australian Historic Engineering Plaquing Program to acknowledge past engineering achievements and to draw public attention to the significant contributions they have made to society.The Plaquing Program is a means of bringing public recognition to significant historic engineering works and the engineers who created them. The Program is intended to contribute to the conservation of Australian engineering heritage.
|Address:||Wollombi Road, St Albans, 2775|
|GPS Coordinates:||Lat: -33.293281|
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
|Actual Monument Dedication Date:||2001|
St Albans Bridge
This bridge, opened on 27 June 1903, was designed by EM de Burgh (1863 - 1929), an eminent Public Works engineer after whom this truss type was named. The contractor was John Ahearn & Son. The de Burgh truss was the first composite timber and steel truss and the fourth type in the evolution of truss design for road bridges in NSW from 1861 to 1905. The two 36 metre spans are the longest remaining trusses of this type.
The Institution of Engineers, Australia
Roads and Traffic Authority NSW and
Hawkesbury City Council, 2003